If you own a surfboard, then you’ll be well aware of how much space they can take up. Well, how about when you own multiple surfboards.
This is not a great hobby when you have a small apartment and you need to save on space. However, this is where a great surf rack can really help you out.
You can stack various different racks in different positions. If you want to keep your surfboards out of the way, then we would certainly recommend a vertical rack.
These types of racks keep your surfboards level, stopping them from sliding around and clattering against each other.
You can also store your surfboard in a horizontal rack, allowing you to store them on the wall, almost as if they were on display.
If you take pride in the quality and condition of your surfboards, then we would certainly recommend that you have one of these handy brackets.
Keeping your surfboard off the floor is also a great way of keeping it away from prying hands.
So where can you find the best surfboard racks? What features do they need to have to keep your surfboard safe and supported?
What is the best material for a surfboard rack to be made from? How much will a decent surfboard rack cost you? How many surfboards can your surfing rack store at one time?
Well, if you are desperate to store your surfboard racks, then we would recommend that you keep reading.
We have a list of some of the best surfboard racks that you can get on the market, along with a brief history of the surfboard rack and how you can have one for your living space.
Now we’ve looked at some of the basic features of a surf rack, we’ll give you a list of some of the best surfboards that you can get on the market.
These have a range of features and are made from a variety of materials, to give you a broader idea of what you can expect from your board.
OUR TOP PICK
First off, we’re going to start with the horizontal models, starting with a model that you can use both indoors and outdoors.
This rack is made from solid hardwood, with a rubber strip covering the inside that will look super cool and protect the integrity of your board from some of the damages that can often be inflicted on this board - introducing the Cor Surf Wooden Surfboard Wall Mount.
Each of these arms has been built to easily hold and distribute the weight of multiple surfboards. This rack can hold around 3 surfboards in total, making it a medium-level rack.
You can stack multiple versions of the same surfboard with this rack, it is extremely resilient and can take the weight.
- This is a great beginners rack, giving you a solid hardwood base that will be able to house your 3 favorite surfboards.
- It is extremely simple and nice to look at. It will also fit in with the decor of most homes, whether you have decorated it with wood or another color scheme.
- This comes with a rubber strip that will certainly keep the edges of your surfboard free of dings and other scrapes.
- You can stack up to 3 surfboards with this rack, making it a great rack for the casual surfboarder.
- If you are a real hardcore surfboard enthusiast, then you might have to get more than one of these racks to hold all your surfboards.
Next up, we have another wall mount that can hold up to four boards on an even spacing.
This comes with foam handles that are wrapped in rubber, which can hold up to 100-pounds of surfboarding weight.
This is one of the best surfboard racks to have if you want to display your surfboards on a flat plain - introducing the Kiteboard Wall rack Mount.
You can easily hang these surfboards, as they are very well spaced out and are not that tricky to slot into their mounts.
This is great if you do not have that much time to make sure that your surfboard is mounted perfectly, rather being a grab-it-and-go kind of surfer.
- This comes with pre-drilled holes that will allow you to hook your mount to the wall very easily. If you have numerous surfboards, then you can stack them on top of each other without issue.
- These arms are angled backward at around 15 degrees, which is great if you are worried about your surfboards falling off the front of your wall mounting.
- The foam elements of these arms are great for preserving the integrity of your surfboard. You won’t have to worry about there being any dings on your surfboard when you are replacing it in a hurry.
- The price - you can pick up one of these racks for a fairly decent price, so if you are on a budget, then this might be the rack for you.
- The top shelf of this surfing rack is very high, which might result in you having to grab a footstool to mount your top shelf.
Next up we have the cheapest bracket on this list, coming in the shape of two simple aluminum brackets that you attach on your wall.
You can then stick your surfboard onto these brackets and it will ensure that your rack is utterly display-ready.
This is a great wall mount for display purposes - introducing the Original Minimalist Surfboard Wall Rack.
This aluminum rack is very durable and can be stored easily in your drawer when you are not using it.
This is great for anyone who has really limited storage space and likes the idea of converting their surfboard into a display item on the wall.
These brackets are very sturdy and will stop your surfboard from sliding side to side.
- This rack is extremely easy to set up, in less than half an hour, you’ll have your bracket in your wall, ready to hold the weight of your surfboard.
- This is made from solid aluminum, so you can mount it inside or outside. This is also very resistant to rust, mold and other corrosive elements that will damage your board.
- You can hang your board still wet from the ocean if you have to, this bracket will be able to easily resist water damage.
- This is one of the easiest brackets to mount, all you need is a few screws and a screwdriver and you’ll be ready to mount this thing.
- Unfortunately, you’ll only be able to mount one surfboard with this rack, so if you want something a little more heavy-duty, then you’ll have to buy a few different brackets.
This first rack in our vertical mounts is a great rack that is manufactured from Baltic birch wood.
It is highly resistant to stains and spillages, giving you everything that you need for a solid board storage system.
These brackets come in 5-inch thickness, so that’s plenty of space for you to keep your boards neat and tidy - introducing The Pacifica Freestanding Surfboard Display Rack.
- This comes with rubber bands on the bottom that will help cushion the butt of your surfboard when it is standing up.
- You can be sure that you’ll have way more room in your small apartment with this freestanding unit.
- This will keep your boards fairly close together, giving you the opportunity to have more storage space for other items in the rest of your house.
- This is a fairly cheap unit, so you won’t have to break the bank to store your surfboards, giving you more money to spend on more boards!
- This is quite a sizable unit that might take up precious floor space in your home or apartment.
This final vertical surfboard rack gives you everything that you need to keep your board upright and straight.
It comes in handy brackets that you can install yourself, tailoring your bracket to be the same size and width as your boards.
This is made from very durable and stylish wood that will fit in with the decor of most homes - introducing StoreYourboard Vertical Timber Surfboard Wall Rack.
- Each arm of this surfboard rack is lined with cork, which will enable you to safely rest the board against them without it experiencing any dings or scrapes.
- This rack allows you to tailor your shelves to suit the interior of your home or garage as well as the width of your boards.
- This is a great shelving unit for anyone who has been surfing for a while and has some very specific ideas about how their boards should be kept.
- The price - this is very reasonably priced, only coming as a select few shelves.
- This might not be heavy-duty enough for certain surfboards.
Surfboard Rack Buying Guide
A Surfboard Rack: Why You Need One
A surfboard rack is quite simply a rack that you can use to store surfboards.
This is one of the most secure methods of storing your surfboard, with a racking system that you can use to stack these boards on top of each other.
They come in two different systems, you can either have them in a vertical style or you can have them stacked in a row.
Both of these methods are very ergonomic, with the racks designed so far apart that you can save as much space as possible. Think of it very similar to the CD racks or a bookshelf.
If you are a professional surfer, then the chances are that you have more than one board. Having a surfboard rack will be a great method of making sure that they don’t clutter up the entire house.
A lot of professional surfers have multiple racks lining their houses where they can display and store all their favorite surfboards.
These racks can be made from a whole host of different materials. You can get racks made from plastic, soft foam, steel, aluminum and wood.
These materials have to be first and foremost very durable and able to support the weight of multiple surfboards, which can often be very heavy.
Another thing you’ll want from your surfboard rack is for them to be very supportive and not to damage the integrity of your board.
If you have a hard vinyl board, then you’ll want to make sure that the wood of your board is not chipped or dented, otherwise this could reduce its lifespan.
Key Features Of A Surfboard Rack
There are a few different features that you’ll want from a good quality surfboard rack, each one will give you a very different look and help to store your surfboard in a certain way.
Here are some of the key things that you’ll be looking for from your next surfboard rack:
What Materials Is It Made From?
As we have discussed earlier, you can get a surfboard rack made from a wide variety of materials. Wood is one of the best materials that you can use to fashion a surfboard rack, as it is both very pliable and very sturdy.
It will also not damage the surface of your board, which can often be very hard itself.
You can also get plastic or aluminum surfboard racks, although these have their own peculiar advantages and disadvantages.
One of the main plus points of a metal surf rack is how solid it is and how well you can fit it into the wall. However, one of the drawbacks is that it might ding the top of your surfboard and lead to scuff marks.
Does It Have Moving Parts?
Some racks can come in one single piece, which will certainly be very easy to install and mount on your wall. However, you can also have multiple parts that can slide and retract when you are operating them.
We would suggest that you opt for the single-piece design, as the more parts there are, the greater the chance of the structure being compromised.
How Many Contact/Screw Points Does It Have?
This will determine how secure your surfing rack will screw into the wall. The more contact points that you have, then the more solid it will hook to the wall.
The more screw points you have also means that the pressure from the surfboards hanging will be more evenly distributed across the bracket itself.
Does It Have Padding?
You’ll need to be completely sure that your surfboard rack comes with padding. If it has no padding, then it might result in certain scratches and nicks on the surface of your surfboard.
You should always be gentle when slotting your surfboard into its rack.