You might think that hitting the surf with a helmet might not be the coolest thing in the world to do, but there are plenty of dangers that you might experience when you are out on the ocean waves.
One of the main ones being the board itself, which can often land on you and give you a severe concussion.
But the fact that these surfing helmets are also very cool is what gives them their appeal.
A lot of these surfing helmets will also have great patterns and designs, so you won’t have to look like a square when you are hitting the waves with your friends. They also have cool visors that will help you to see.
There are plenty of professionals who use surfing helmets to protect their craniums when they are out on the waves.
This will enable you to perform some amazing trick shots, which are very important when you are out on the waves and want to achieve a top level of surfing skills.
These are also good for younger surfers, giving them the added confidence that they need when they are out on the surf.
You can also get surfing helmets for even younger children, as this will stop their soft heads from getting too damaged.
So where can you find the best surfing helmets? What features will you need for a reliable surfing helmet? What are the most durable materials that surfing helmets can be made from?
How much can you be expected to pay for a decent surfing helmet on the market?
Well, if you want the answers to these questions and a whole lot more, then we would recommend that you keep reading.
We have compiled a list of some of the best surfboards on the market, along with a buyer’s guide that will help you to identify what exactly it is that you’ll be looking for when you are shopping for your next surf helmet.
OUR TOP PICK
This first surf helmet has been tailor made to help you keep your head protected when you are out on the waves, with a design that comes just above the ears.
You can remove these ear guards if you find them too cumbersome.
This is a great option for younger surfers who feel anxious about stepping out into the waters - introducing the Gath Gedi Surf Safety Helmet with Peak.
This helmet comes in a wide range of colors, so you can be sure that you’ll find a snappy design that is able to catch a few eyes when you are out on the waves.
This helmet is lightweight and very easy to carry around, this helmet has a tough outer shell that will be able to withstand even the hardest knocks.
- This helmet is great for any kind of water base pursuit - you can take this one out on your surfboard or your river raft.
- This is great for people who are starting out with surfing who might expect to spend more time in the water than on top of it.
- You can be sure that this helmet will last you a long time, it is made from some of the best materials, making it one of the most long lasting helmets on this list.
- This has an EPS inner lining that is made from very absorbent foam. This is great for getting rid of any excess water and keeping the inside of your helmet very well ventilated.
- This helmet might be too large for some wearers, so make sure that you get the right size that is adapted for your head.
With a UV stable, non-absorbent, high-impact, foam liner, the Vihir Adult Water Sports Helmet is the ideal helmet for keeping you comfortable and safe while surfing.
What sets this helmet apart from the rest is its thick Neoprene headband that can adapt to the shape of your head for comfort, and protects you from water getting into your eyes.
This helmet also comes with ear protectors, which can be easily detachable if you wish to not wear them.
On a hot day, these could be quite uncomfortable, so having the choice to remove them is much appreciated.
The Neoprene band and the foam lining make for a very cozy and comfortable helmet, keeping you steady while not getting in the way of your peripheral vision.
The foam lining and the thickness of the band may be off-putting to some, but don’t worry, both of these components are so lightweight you’ll forget you’re wearing a helmet at all!
Leaving you free to just focus on the waves, which is what we all want whilst surfing.
If that wasn’t enough, this helmet also has quick-release, secure buckles so once you’re back on dry land you can take your helmet off with ease.
- Practical, utilitarian design that focuses on comfort and protection.
- Unique style with helmets available in Carbon (gray/black), orange, and yellow.
- Extremely durable.
- Difficult to determine the right size.
This next brand of surfing helmet has been making them for years and knows a thing or two about foam absorption and having a retractable visor that you can use to keep the spray out of your face.
This comes with 98% UV protection, so you can be sure that you have everything you need to avoid going blind in the sun - introducing Gath Safety Surf Helmet with Retractable Visor.
This has a very tight chin strap that will enable you to get it nice and snug under your chin.
This helmet is extremely lightweight, allowing you to easily carry it in your surf bag along with your other surfing accessories.
This will give you the perfect coverage across the entirety of your face.
- This is a full face helmet, which gives you the ebay coverage that you can imagine, especially if you are protecting your face and your ears, which can often get clogged with water.
- This is great not just for surfing, but also kiteboarding and jet skiing. If you are going through the water at a very fast speed, then you can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need to keep the water out of your face.
- This comes in a wide range of colors, which will really help you to look super trendy when you are out on the surf.
- This comes in a lightweight design, giving you everything that you need for a solid performance. It will also last you a very long time.
- This might be a little too much protection for some surfers that just prefer the openness of a partially covered head.
This next helmet is one of the best on the market for anyone who wants a very uncomplicated but durable helmet for their surfing needs.
This helmet will really fulfill all of your needs, not only is it lightweight and resilient, but it is also very stylish and will complement the designs of most surfboards - introducing Pro-Tec Ace Water Helmet.
- This helmet is very durable, not only will it last you even on the toughest surf, but you can even smash it against the rocks without it splitting.
- This helmet has wonderfully built-in shock absorption technology. If you hit your head on the rocks, then you can be sure that you’ll only be able to feel around 50% of it.
- This helmet is a comfortable fit, which is so important when you are wearing a surfing helmet. The last thing you’ll need is a chin strap that itches you.
- This has great ventilation in and around the ears, so more than likely you’ll probably almost forget that you are wearing a helmet in the first place.
- This might be a little hardcore for novice surfers who just want something taht they can wear during practice. Pros might also find it a little bit cumbersome.
This next helmet is a full-cut model, with waterproof elements that you can be sure won’t get in your ear and cause you irritation.
These have wonderful ear protection, with a helmet that will sit perfectly on most sizes and shapes of head.
This comes with a retro-style that most surfers will be able to complement with their board - introducing Pro-Tec Full Cut Water Helmet.
- This has a moulded design, so you can be sure that it will fit most sizes and shapes of head. This is very comfortable around the ears and won't cause you much irritation.
- You can attach a few objects to this helmet, whether it be goggles or a flashlight for those evening surfing sessions.
- This helmet has great ear coverage, which is very important for keeping the water out and not throwing you off your balance.
- This is a lightweight helmet that will look great in your surfing kit. If you are trekking on your way to the site of your surfing, then having a lighter kit will be a godsend.
- This has a few straps on the outside of your helmet, which might be an issue if you are a newbie surfer and you don’t want too many distractions around your head.
This next helmet is certainly the most stylish model that we have on this list, coming in a wide range of eye catching prints and colors.
This Is one of the more comfortable helmets on this list, so you won’t have to worry about it slipping off or getting damaged when you are out negotiating tougher waters - tontron Adult Whitewater Helmet.
- With a thick and soft EVA lining, you won’t have to worry about your helmet itching or irritating you when you are cutting through an awesome wave.
- This has upwards of 11 holes in the head for the circulation of air. Remember that surfing is a very active sport, so you will want somewhere for the heat and sweat to escape.
- This helmet will also dry very quickly, which will result in a decrease in water damage, which will increase the overall longevity of your helmet.
- This helmet is made from extremely tough material, so you won’t have to worry about it giving out after a few months.
- The price - with a helmet like this, you are paying for the very best. However, if you are only a casual surfer who likes to take the board out a few times a month, then you might not be looking for something so heavy-duty.
This next helmet is built with ergonomic comfort in mind, it is a great all-round helmet to use for anyone who likes to do watersports of any kind.
This will offer you the most complete protection, whether it is on the back of the next or around the ears.
This comes with a evry hard ABS plastic shell which will absorb even hard impacts - introducing NRS Chaos Full-Cut Helmet.
- This comes with an adjustable chin strap that you can alter to make it very comfortable and snug around your face.
- This comes with a very durable ABS plastic construction, which makes it one of the most resilient helmets on the list.
- The price - this is a very modest price range, which is great if you are a young surfer who might not have that much money.
- This can be used in a wide variety of watersports, which makes it the most versatile helmet that you can get on the market.
- This might be considered too clunky by a lot of professional surfers, so you might have to opt for something a little lighter if head movement is necessary for you.
This last helmet is one of the best models that we have listed here.
It has great design features such as ear protectors and air ventilation that will allow you to regulate the temperature inside and outside your helmet.
This will give you complete coverage, so you won’t have to worry about any exposed joints - introducing Gath SFC Convertible Safety Surf Helmet.
- This helmet is very lightweight, meaning that you can carry it from one beach to another with it tucked under your arm or still on your head. You won’t even know it's there!
- This has great protection in the neck and around the ears, which is very important when you are learning to surf and you might be expecting to hit the water frequently.
- This is a very comfortable and snug helmet, with a chin strap that you can adjust for the size of any head.
- This is a great one to have for a young surfer who might be struggling with standing up on the board and might have already sustained some head injury.
- The design of this helmet might be a little too thin for some users who are seeking optimum protection.
Best Surf Helmets Buying Guide
When you are shopping for a new surfing helmet, then there are some features that you will not want to lose.
It is important that your surfing helmet is comfortable to wear as well as durable enough to withstand the various knocks and falls that you’ll receive when out on the water.
Here are some things you’ll want to look for in your next helmet:
How Durable Is It?
You’ll definitely want your helmet to be made from a hardened plastic.
This means it will be pliable enough to absorb any shocks that you sustain, but it will also not succumb to any erosion from the prolonged exposure to water.
Imagine a heavy vinyl surfboard hitting you in the head - it could easily knock you out.
You’ll want a helmet that is just as hard as a bike or soccer helmet. This is especially true if you are surfing near a rock where you could very easily fall and hit your head.
How Adjustable Is It?
You’ll want to be sure that you can alter the chin strap underneath your helmet. It will be important that your helmet is secure, but it will be very uncomfortable if your helmet is itchy when you are using it.
If you are on your board, then you simply won’t have time to alter it.
How Light Is Your Helmet?
This is very important if you are going to be carrying this thing around with you as well as plenty of other accessories.
If you are lugging a surfboard from one beach to another, the last thing you’ll want is a heavy helmet.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Need A Surfing Helmet?
You might think them silly and unnecessary, but a surfing helmet is actually very important for your surfing experience.
More often than not there’ll be rocks nearby or maybe underneath the surface of the water where you can’t see them. Having a helmet will guarantee you protection if you hit these rocks, head-first.